I've found it challenging, the past few months to consistently make it to the gym. As you would imagine, I've lost much of the progress I made last year. Although efforts have been made fit in 3 mile walks as the opportunity presents itself, my schedule is just too sporadic to manage. Working out regularly for 45 minutes to an hour is something I want to do, but there doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to do it.
The good news is that I may have found a solution to this dilemma using another method that worked well for me. Whenever my home gets a bit over cluttered and needs a deep cleaning, I practice a method I call "cleaner than I found it." Instead of investing an entire day cleaning the house, I merely put away a few things each time I walk into the room. Sometimes I just pick one area and tell myself, "when I come back in the room, I'll declutter that area." My home is relatively small so I visit the same room multiple times a day. If I'm consistent in practicing "cleaner than I found it," my home is organized and declutttered with minimal effort.
Today, an idea popped into my head. "Why don't I use this practice with my workouts?" Meaning, I can work out in very small increments throughout the day. It reminds me of when Porsha from Atlanta Housewives shared on her Instagram that she knocks out several squats before showering each day. Excitement overtook me as I thought about the possibilities, but then I wondered, "will this actually be effective?" According to Dr. Mosely who wrote the book Fast Exercise, short bursts of high intensity workouts of even 40 seconds could make a difference. He put some people on a short, high intensity workout plan for six weeks and found an improvement in aerobic capacity improvements in insulin levels. That's pretty significant considering the total amount of "workout time" they put in over the six weeks.
Knowing that even small amounts of exercise is effective, I'm even more excited & motivated to put this strategy into practice. My plan is to fit in seemingly small activities into what I do on a daily basis. For example, when I walked into the bedroom to retrieve an item, I could do a wall sit for 30 seconds before leaving the room. Or when I watch a video online, I"ll plank or some light floor work. I have my Fitbit on me at all times, perhaps I can set mini goals of how many steps I can fit in the next hour. Whatever the case, I can accomplish much more than I'm doing now. In 10 minutes, I can quickly do this waist training workout to keep my lower back fit and trim. What I'm finally realizing is that I don't need a full hour of uninterrupted time in order to maintain my fitness levels. I just need a minute or two here and there to make it happen. The goal is not to work out for a minute a day. The goal is to fit in multiple focused workouts throughout the day. Just like when I clean one area at a time, it all adds up.
[ #TRENDING ]
- ► 2016 ( 244 )
- ► 2015 ( 256 )
- Beauty Secrets of the Flight Attendant with Flawle...
- How to create taut, firm facial skin.
- Motivation Monday | How to develop personal accoun...
- Barely There Accents
- Fit Friday | Be inspired by these weight loss tra...
- Skin Porefection | Eliminate large pores for good....
- Currrently Craving | NeoCell Biotin Bursts!
- First Impressions | Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Pee...
- Monday Motivation| Your emotions are deceiving you...
- Wash Day | Want healthier hair? Try doing a "Pre" ...
- Working out? What are you gonna do about your hai...
- How to retain length if you're a obssessive hair m...
- Wearing the red lip.
- Banish Breakage | Products that destroy hair break...
- Style School | The Satin Scarf Braid Out
- Drink to your health!
- Fit Friday | Why I want a vibration plate, like ri...
- Caviar Living | Why fish eggs are a sacred food.
- Super Food Snacking | Asian Grocery Haul
- Monday Motivation | Taking action is worthless
- The Black Smoothie | Take your smoothie game to th...
- Fitness Friday | Geting Fit in under a minute a d...
- ▼ August ( 22 )
- ► 2013 ( 196 )
- ► 2012 ( 92 )
- ► 2011 ( 71 )
- ► 2010 ( 55 )
- ► 2009 ( 63 )
- Healthy Hair
- Skin Care
- Stronger Hair
- Deep Conditioning
- Healthy Scalp
- Off topic
- Product Reviews
- healthy ends
- Hair Maintenance
- Hair Goals
- Hair Oil
- hair styles
- How Tos
- Stretching Relaxer
- hair steamer
- Dry Hair
- Hair Science
- Dominican Salon
- Hair Tools
- Shiny Hair
- Beauty Treatments
- Bamboo Tea
- air drying
- Affirm Fiber Guard
- Reader Questions
- Curly Hair
- Hair Growth
- hair journal