I don't think I've ever met a person who hasn't battled with procrastination. It's an issue that I struggle with, I've coached others on the same issue and, as a matter of fact, I just had a conversation with a wonderful reader on Sunday about the same concern. We have things we know we should do....but for some reason we keep putting it off (while feeling bad the entire time).
You and I go through this same cycle in our lives. There's something that we KNOW needs to get done, yet we avoid it. We fill our time with other non-essentials while constantly battling the inner voice that steadily reminds us of what we're avoiding. The moment we complete it, our energy shifts and suddenly we start doing other things that we've been putting off. Notice how good Steven felt as he washed a mountain of dishes. I don't think he consciously said to himself "I'm going to write this novel, then I'll do the dishes." No, I think his mind was strictly focused on finally overcoming the procrastination of finally writing his novel. But, a wonderful outcome of his actions was the removal of blockage in other areas of his life.
Notice how Steven wasn't attached to the outcome of his book. His goal wasn't to write a great American novel, he just needed to get it on paper. Sometimes we stop ourselves from doing something because we fear it won't be any good. If that is your way of thinking, please refer back to last week's post about life lessons from Chris Brown's dancing. Over the weekend, I visited a talented Makeup Artist friend. She talked about how excited she was to launch her new makeup business. I brought up the possibility of utilizing Youtube to expand her branding. But the thought of it terrifies her. I asked her a question. "Let's say you put out a few videos, and three months from now, I ask you how things are, will you say that you regret doing it?" In fact, if she did launch a few videos, the worse case scenario is that she'd get a couple of hundred views. But is that really a "worse case scenario" or is it a good thing because a few hundred people who didn't know her work are now familiar with her.
Same with us. We avoid something because we think it'll be a terrible experience if we go through it. Truth is, ONLY and I mean ONLY good things can come from doing what we need to do. Think about it. List out everything you've been avoiding. Whether it's placing a call, decluttering, writing a book, getting that certification, working out consistently, launching your business, whatever it is:
1. You will NEVER regret doing it (but you will regret avoid it)
2. Only good things come when you do it.
3. You will also experience unexpected breakthroughs in other areas of your life when you do them.
I would like you to keep these three things in mind whenever you find yourself avoiding taking action. I invite you to do a 7 day personal challenge where you do one thing everyday that we've been putting off. Doesn't have to be "that huge thing" you've been avoiding. Could be as simple as flossing after brushing. But do something everyday to build that muscle. Next thing you know, it will become easier for you to tackle that big thing on your list. Who's with me?
[ #TRENDING ]
- ► 2016 ( 244 )
- ► 2015 ( 256 )
- Currently Craving | MAC Nymphette Gloss.
- KhairPep Review (Part 2)
- Monday Motivation | breaking free of the start - s...
- Love her Look | Rihanna on Game Night
- bhave | Functional Keratin in professional strengt...
- ASOS 60% off Dresses Sale (48 hours only )
- Update | KhairPep review
- NEW IN | MAC Makeup, More Misto and Exotic Earring...
- Blogging 101 Video featuring Fashion Blogger Damse...
- Style Obsession | The Embellished Sandal
- Beauty Nutrition Haul | It Works Nourishing Comple...
- Hair Health | Addressing my "V" shaped ends.
- Monday Motivation | Let's talk Procrastination
- China Glaze | For Audrey Giveaway
- New In | Sephora addition
- Biolage Keratindose Leave-in just got better.
- The Lust List
- Four life lessons I learned from Chris Brown's dan...
- Leather in the Spring Time
- The Summer Sexy Legs Project
- Spring is here! Hair Growth Season has officially ...
- Transformation Tuesday | All the hard work pays of...
- ▼ April ( 22 )
- ► 2013 ( 196 )
- ► 2012 ( 92 )
- ► 2011 ( 71 )
- ► 2010 ( 55 )
- ► 2009 ( 63 )
- Healthy Hair
- Skin Care
- Stronger Hair
- Deep Conditioning
- Healthy Scalp
- Off topic
- Product Reviews
- healthy ends
- Hair Maintenance
- Hair Goals
- Hair Oil
- hair styles
- How Tos
- Stretching Relaxer
- hair steamer
- Dry Hair
- Hair Science
- Dominican Salon
- Hair Tools
- Shiny Hair
- Beauty Treatments
- Bamboo Tea
- air drying
- Affirm Fiber Guard
- Reader Questions
- Curly Hair
- Hair Growth
- hair journal