Monday, February 13, 2017
The 7 Day Experiment that Created My Ideal Self
Most of the time, it takes a while for the intention to show up in reality. I very aware of that. So when I embarked on this little experiment, I didn't expect to notice any results right away. But, in just a few short days, I noticed a shift start to occur.
Let me start off by saying that I didn't do a great job during this experiment. I didn't block out a specific time each day to do the exercise. Instead, I squeezed in a few minutes here and there. Sometimes I'd visualize when I first woke up. Other times, I'd take a few moments whenever I could.
Within a couple of days, I noticed something start to take place internally. It was like that feeling you get when you start working out again after being on hiatus for a while. It felt good to get the blood flowing again.
Shortly thereafter, I started to take on the characteristics of the "ideal version of myself." There are several versions of me. My favorite one shows up when I meditate regularly. This version likes to a clear, clutter-free environment. She likes to work with a high degree of focus to clean up her to-do list. She enjoys making salads and eating fresh fruits. She likes to buy me flowers and splurge luxurious scented candles. She makes sure my nails are done and that I visit the gym multiple times a week. All the habits that I normally struggle with come very easy for her.
She's amazing and I love her dearly.
But she doesn't always stick around. After a couple of weeks of spending time with her, the other version starts to show up. That version of me likes to procrastinate, craves junk food and allows my environment to become a disorganized mess.
If I had to choose between the two, I obviously prefer to experience the "ideal version". This week, I was reminded that she prefers to come around whenever I am living a conscious lifestyle. Living consciously means getting connected to my inner self. Meditation, for me, is the fastest route to get there. There are countless benefits available from taking a few minutes each day to focus on your breath. But my favorite side effect is experiencing the type of person I become because of it.
This little 7-day experience reminded me of how far I veered off course. These next 7 days will be a continuation of the experiment. But instead of haphazardly doing a couple minutes of visualizing here and there, I'll be much more intentional. If I want to consistently operate as my ideal self, this needs to be a daily routine.
If you feel a bit disconnected from your ideal self then it's time to turn around before you stray too far. For me, meditation is a tool. Maybe for you, it's treating yourself to a spa day, going for daily walks, or writing in your journal every night. Whatever it is, do it (and do it as regularly as possible).
My goal, now, is to live as my "ideal self" for as long as possible. Instead of enjoying her for weeks at a time, I want to see what happens when I operate in this state for months. I can only imagine what I can accomplish if I live this way for the rest of the year.
[ #TRENDING ]
- Decisions are useless, you have to make a choice.
- The 7 Day Experiment That Saved My Skin
- Working on Your Summer Body? The Collagen Bed May...
- This is How to Keep Your Eyes Looking Younger Fore...
- Naomi Campbell's Makeup Artist Taught Me the Secre...
- Remove Your Self-Imposed Limitations to Make Room ...
- It's Time to Create Your Perfect Weekend Morning R...
- Adding This Step on Wash Day Could Mean Major Leng...
- This fitness guru recommends a snack that can actu...
- [Try This] Mariah Carey's Bed Time Beauty Secret.
- Oily Skin Girls Rejoice! Matte Powder Foundation i...
- The 7 Day Experiment that Created My Ideal Self
- Instagram Beauty Secrets // Simone's Complete Flaw...
- Your Pre-Summer Skin Detox Starts Now!
- Not All Heat Is Created Equal. Why Infrared Heat ...
- Why We Fall out of Routines and How to End the Vic...
- How to Take Your Sheet Mask Routine to New Levels
- How spraying on bacteria could do "wonders for you...
- ▼ February ( 18 )
- ► 2016 ( 244 )
- ► 2015 ( 256 )
- ► 2014 ( 257 )
- ► 2013 ( 196 )
- ► 2012 ( 92 )
- ► 2011 ( 71 )
- ► 2010 ( 55 )
- ► 2009 ( 63 )
- Healthy Hair
- Skin Care
- Stronger Hair
- Deep Conditioning
- Healthy Scalp
- Off topic
- Product Reviews
- healthy ends
- Hair Maintenance
- Hair Goals
- Hair Oil
- hair styles
- How Tos
- Stretching Relaxer
- hair steamer
- Dry Hair
- Hair Science
- Dominican Salon
- Hair Tools
- Shiny Hair
- Beauty Treatments
- Bamboo Tea
- air drying
- Affirm Fiber Guard
- Reader Questions
- Curly Hair
- Hair Growth
- hair journal