Friday, March 24, 2017
Summer Body Project | How Not to Gain A Bunch of Weight on Your Vacation
Getting down to my goal weight is not the problem. It's what happens after I return. Vacations are sometimes a double-edged sword because it means lots of high-fat meals and added weight gain. Normally, I don't mind it all that much but this year, I have two getaways planned months apart. What I don't want is to slim down, come back heavier, then have to quickly drop pounds again before jetting off.
The plan is to enjoy all the fun and food without having to experience a weight loss set back.
To do this successfully, I'll focus on what's worked well in the past and what I'll choose to do differently this time around.
The biggest issue I always deal with whenever I vacay is bloat. This is a result of overeating without giving proper time to fully digest. Every meal is over portioned and loaded with calories. I eat way more in a day than my stomach is used to. Suddenly none of my special vacation clothes fit like they should. I need to get over the idea that just because I'm not in my home town that I have to eat like a mad woman. In a normal day, I wouldn't indulge in a breakfast buffet, head to a little-known restaurant for lunch and then eat a late dinner.
This go around, I'll have to change things up. Proper digestion will be top of mind. This will include making sure I'm consistent with taking probiotics and digestive enzymes leading up to and during the entire trip. Beyond that, I'll continue implementing digestion promoting habits that I carry out at home. That includes drinking lemon water in the mornings and post-meal walking.
Walking and level of activity is probably the biggest factor that dictates whether I gain weight when I head home. I've been on trips where I ate ungodly amounts of high fat/high sugar foods and came back home practically the same size. But we did lots of walking. The more we walked, the better. But not every vacation is one where you'll be doing a ton of walking. Since we already know that we're consuming a calorie surplus, we have to add the activity to counteract that.
This means a quick trip to the hotel gym in the a.m. before the day begins. Nothing feels better than racking in several thousand steps and breaking a sweat before the sun has fully risen. That, combined with the rest of the activity for the day, should be enough to counteract most, or all, of the crazy indulgences. Rule of thumb is that if I eat more than normal, I need to walk more than normal. Many times we'll skip the Uber and just walk for most of the trip. If I rented a car, hitting the gym is absolutely mandatory.
Another thing I'll do differently this time around is focus on strength training/toning prior to leaving. Muscle burns more calories than fat so a few days of indulgent eating shouldn't throw everything off. A toned body can better handle the calorie surplus. If we simply cut calories to fit into our swimsuit, we're setting ourselves up for immediate weight gain the minute we start eating normal meals again.
Nobody wants that.
[ #TRENDING ]
- 3 Reasons Why You Should Trim Before Summer
- Clay vs Mud. Have You Been Using The Wrong Mask Th...
- Albert Einstein's Visualization Process Gave Me Cr...
- Summer Body Project | How Not to Gain A Bunch of W...
- Clarisonic has entered the Anti-Aging Game with th...
- Essential Beauty Items that Should Be in Your Car
- How to Ensure You'll Actually Do What You Say You'...
- Struggling to lose Weight? You're Probably Missing...
- Acne Scars | The One Instance Where Your Melanin I...
- The Process of Redefining Yourself As Who You Want...
- Must See // This Obagi Facial is the Greatest of A...
- Got Acne? Follow This Simple Advice Straight from...
- Forget Lotions. Body Oils Are What Your Skin Is Cr...
- Style Obsession // The Pleated Skirt
- [Try This] The Layering Technique That Takes Your ...
- If You're Serious About Hydrated Skin, You'll Defi...
- Do This After Meals To "Erase" The Effects of Your...
- A Mid-Day Refesher//Creating Perfect Moments in a ...
- ▼ March ( 18 )
- ► 2016 ( 244 )
- ► 2015 ( 256 )
- ► 2014 ( 257 )
- ► 2013 ( 196 )
- ► 2012 ( 92 )
- ► 2011 ( 71 )
- ► 2010 ( 55 )
- ► 2009 ( 63 )
- Healthy Hair
- Skin Care
- Stronger Hair
- Deep Conditioning
- Healthy Scalp
- Off topic
- Product Reviews
- healthy ends
- Hair Maintenance
- Hair Goals
- Hair Oil
- hair styles
- How Tos
- Stretching Relaxer
- hair steamer
- Dry Hair
- Hair Science
- Dominican Salon
- Hair Tools
- Shiny Hair
- Beauty Treatments
- Bamboo Tea
- air drying
- Affirm Fiber Guard
- Reader Questions
- Curly Hair
- Hair Growth
- hair journal