Today's lesson is one that I've reflected a lot on in the past week. It relates directly to our conversation last week on scheduling your goals. Today we are discussing "following through with our promises" or "honoring our word."
In any given week, you will make countless commitments (promises). You commit to arriving to work on time, to calling people back, to turning work in when expected. And most of the time, you do a decent job of honoring those commitments.
But then, there are the promises we make to ourselves. We say that this year will be different, this year we vowed to.......
If you calendar your goals this week into your schedule, you are in essence creating a written promise to yourself that these actions will occur. But what happens if you're like me and don't complete what you've written down? Usually nothing right?
There are no real consequences for not hitting my 10,000 steps that day like I wanted. And, because no real consequences occur, I hold little value to the promises I make to myself. I treat it as if I have a choice as to whether I want to do it or not. But what I'm really doing is devaluing my word. I'm weakening my word every time I break a promise to myself (and others) until I become someone who has no power. I become the person that always talking about what I'll do differently but nothing ever manifests. At work, when I say something will be completed by a certain time, I do it. I do it to avoid the consequences. Choice is not involved in this type of decision. Because to my employer, I chose "yes" to all my obligations simply by showing up to work. But in my own life, I'm saying "maybe" to my personal commitments.
Can you imagine how "powerful" you would be if you fully committed to doing 100% of what you promise this week? By the way, when I use the word power, I'm not talking about position or status, I'm referring to personal power. The power to create in life. God, who is all powerful, creates through HIS WORD. We, who have limited power, are constantly devaluing our word. We say, "I want to lose 15 lbs, but the minute someone brings a birthday cake to the office, we're enjoying a slice. Our word has no power.
Words are the beginning of creation. First we think it, then we SPEAK it, then we ACT UPON IT, and finally, WE COMPLETE IT.
The topic of completion is a whole 'nother post we need to delve into next week. But in the mean time, I invite you to practice honoring your word this week. Make it a priority to follow through with what you committed to yourself and others. Make your word the most important thing to you and work diligently to honor it.
[ #TRENDING ]
- ► 2016 ( 244 )
- In the gym bag.
- Scalp Contractions | Taking your simple scalp mass...
- Your Ultimate Nightly Coconut Oil Regimen has arri...
- Olaplex | Rebuild the damage caused by your chemic...
- Fitness | Your Key to Eternal Youth
- Master the At Home Facial
- New In.
- The Healthy Scalp Essentials Kit
- Beyond Taking Action| The Amazing Power of Finishi...
- Fitness Inspiration
- How to become an International Woman of Mystery.
- Inspo Board | Adorned.
- Rebounding | The all over beauty work out that ban...
- Motivation Monday // What really happens when you ...
- Update // The one tool that softens my skin, mois...
- Fit Friday // How Living a Healthy Lifestyle can i...
- Currently Loving | Kanechom Avocado Conditioner.
- Why painting your nails could actually change your...
- Style Inpso | How to make your Topknot more inter...
- Monday Motivation | This is the only way to truly ...
- Style Obsession || Feeling Grey
- Are you doing these five beauty rituals every time...
- Fearless Friday | All you gotta do is say yes.
- Year in Review! What we learned in 2014
- ▼ January ( 24 )
- ► 2014 ( 257 )
- ► 2013 ( 196 )
- ► 2012 ( 92 )
- ► 2011 ( 71 )
- ► 2010 ( 55 )
- ► 2009 ( 63 )
- Healthy Hair
- Skin Care
- Stronger Hair
- Deep Conditioning
- Healthy Scalp
- Off topic
- Product Reviews
- healthy ends
- Hair Maintenance
- Hair Goals
- Hair Oil
- hair styles
- How Tos
- Stretching Relaxer
- hair steamer
- Dry Hair
- Hair Science
- Dominican Salon
- Hair Tools
- Shiny Hair
- Beauty Treatments
- Bamboo Tea
- air drying
- Affirm Fiber Guard
- Reader Questions
- Curly Hair
- Hair Growth
- hair journal