Recently, I treated myself to a series of 3 professional peels at a local spa. I've always heard that purchasing a series of treatments was much more effective than sporadic visits. The treatments themselves were fairly mild. My skin only peeled lightly for the most part. Overall, I did experience some acne scar fading. But what was really interesting is what happened on my last visit.
As I laid on the little bed awaiting the application of the peel, I took the opportunity to ask a few questions. The esthetician and I got on the topic of acne scars. That's when she gave me possibly the best advice on treating discoloration that I've ever heard. "You have to do something every day to fade your acne." She went on to explain how she used the "do something every day" method to successfully create her flawless skin.
Ok, to keep it simple, we'll the actions to 3 main categories: Exfoliation, Protection & Treatment.
Protection comes down to one thing, wearing sunscreen everyday...no excuses. The sun basically acts as an instigator, causing your skin to hyperpigment. Without the aid of sunscreen, you're leaving your skin vulnerable to the short term & long effects of the sun. If you aren't committed to wearing sunscreen daily, how can you be serious about wanting even toned skin? Let's make this priority #1.
Once we have protection down pact, it's time to address current discoloration. Everyone we've ever studied with perfect skin all profess to following a regular practice of exfoliation. We've seen it over, and over, and over again. Regular exfoliation and a glowing complexion go hand in hand. Keep in mind that there a levels to this. You can exfoliate daily using the gentlest of products like Cure Exfoliating Gel or you can opt to facial scrubs and fading serums. Maybe daily exfoliation isn't your thing, if not, you can try regular enzyme peels like Beyonce does. I mean, if it's good enough to create Beyonce's perfect glow, it's good enough for us too.
Lastly, we must actively fight discoloration with a product meant to dissolve pigment. That's one area that I've been lacking in. One thing the aesthetician stressed is using a product daily that will break down the extra pigment. There are lots of products on the market that have the power to fade surface level scars. You can opt for a skin brightening serum or a targeted fade cream. That's next on my shopping list. Currently I have my eye on Murad's Lightening Gel but I'm open to suggestions if any of you have a recommendation that worked well for you.
If you've got stubborn scars like me, you may have to take a more direct route, like indulging in professional treatments or employing facial tools that directly target dark spots.
Let's implement this daily practice of fading our acne scars today so by summer you'll have the skin of your dreams.
[ #TRENDING ]
- Monday Motivation | How quickly do you want to exp...
- Your Pre-Night Out Perfect Skin Ritual (part 1).
- Wait.... Can sleeping naked actually help you burn...
- What's your Daily Action Plan for eliminating acne...
- Why Korean Pig-Collagen Masks may be the best thin...
- Monday Motivation | Time will validate all of your...
- Targeted Belly Fat Loss is actually possible with ...
- Style Obsession | Chic Shirt Dress
- The Winter Skin Hydrator that works better than lo...
- Monday Motivation | Are you lying to yourself abo...
- Are you wearing your holy grail foundation? If not...
- Battle of the double rowed, super detangling combs...
- "Immediate Glow Factor" - Why the HydraFacial may ...
- Motivation Monday | 5 Work Ethic videos that'll ki...
- Why Cortisol is your greatest enemy (and what to d...
- Healthy Hair Resolutions 2016
- Craving | Bobby Brown Retouching Pencil for flawle...
- 2016 Beauty Resolutions
- Monday Motivation | Focus. Focus. Focus.
- ▼ February ( 19 )
- ► 2015 ( 256 )
- ► 2014 ( 257 )
- ► 2013 ( 196 )
- ► 2012 ( 92 )
- ► 2011 ( 71 )
- ► 2010 ( 55 )
- ► 2009 ( 63 )
- Healthy Hair
- Skin Care
- Stronger Hair
- Deep Conditioning
- Healthy Scalp
- Off topic
- Product Reviews
- healthy ends
- Hair Maintenance
- Hair Goals
- Hair Oil
- hair styles
- How Tos
- Stretching Relaxer
- hair steamer
- Dry Hair
- Hair Science
- Dominican Salon
- Hair Tools
- Shiny Hair
- Beauty Treatments
- Bamboo Tea
- air drying
- Affirm Fiber Guard
- Reader Questions
- Curly Hair
- Hair Growth
- hair journal