After doing a little reflecting on past practices that have worked really well, I realized that I've neglected one ritual that transformed my life. It was early on in my career and, in an effort to get noticed for future promotions, I wanted to put into practice one piece of advice that I heard repeated many times in career success books---"dress the part!" At the time, I wasn't earning much so I had to use a different method. I set aside a little time on Sundays to put together various looks for the week ahead.
The result. First of all, I felt really prepared heading in to the new week. I freed up quite a bit of time and mental energy in having to decide what you need to wear the morning of. There's no more wondering "did I just wear this last week?" Or finding a cute top but realizing (too late) that the perfect pair of slacks are buried deep in the laundry basket. It also gets rid of that "I have nothing to wear feeling" which is just another way of expressing overwhelm.
Beyond the mental benefits, it also allowed me additional time, before work, to squeeze in a pre-work activities (like building the blog, meditating or enjoying a brief yoga session). Since I didn't have to worry about deciding what to wear, I could dedicate a little more time to makeup application and other beauty rituals. A little bit of extra time each morning will compound in a powerful way, when put to good use and can change the course of your life.
The last benefit took me by surprise. Suddenly, I was injected with a boost of confidence because. I'd put a little time and effort in what I wore. My mood was great. Others noticed and reacted to me differently. Then one day, the woman who held the highest position at the company stopped by my desk to say hello. We engaged in polite conversation and suddenly, out of no where, she says "you dress so nice." Mind you, she was earning over six figures a year in base salary and I was still earning a small hourly wage. We'd worked together for a while and she never once made a comment on my clothing. But, when I invested time & effort in my garments, everyone took note.
these neat little closet racks on wheels. This way I can easily separate my outfits for the week ahead. I don't want the mobile closet to become a place of clutter, just a means to remind myself of my commitment to always appear presentable. Going through your closet on a regular basis creates the perfect opportunity for you to decide which clothing items compliment you best and which ones need to be thrown away or donated.
Even though I may be working from home everyday next week, one thing I know for sure is that I'll look and feel great. Best of all, it'll be an easy process that leaves me with zero excuses. I urge everyone reading this to try this tonight and see what impact if makes for you in the week ahead.
[ #TRENDING ]
- ► 2016 ( 244 )
- Must Have Essentials for Girls with Puny Lashes.
- Motivation Monday | Put a down payment on your goa...
- Gabrielle Union reminds us to step our water drink...
- Style Obsession | The Kimono
- I've turned my Korean Treatment Essence into a hig...
- How to Create Flawless Skin in 7 Days.
- The amazing benefits I experienced from regular ma...
- Motivation Monday | Creating your life on a moment...
- Insta Moments.
- The Fulani Method | Using a silk scarf to infuse m...
- Fit Friday | Summer Fitness Inspiration.
- Style Obession | Dressed in Denim
- The Case for Exfoliating Your Eye Area
- Damaged Hair? Maybe you should try a Hair Botox T...
- Monday Motivation | Life Lessons from Tom Cruise's...
- Instagram Beauty Secrets Part 7.
- Fearless Friday | You've been looking at your fear...
- In the shower | Taking your beauty ritual to the n...
- On Repeat // SZA + Willow Smith 9
- Monday Motivation | How to keep from forgetting to...
- How to look amazing every day without fail.
- Insta moments.
- 5 Makeup Looks to try this weekend!
- What to wear when you have nowhere to go.
- PRP | The anti-aging vampire facial that can also ...
- Moisturize like a Pro! Welcome to the world of Pr...
- Monday Motivation | How to achieve your dreams, w...
- ▼ June ( 27 )
- ► 2014 ( 257 )
- ► 2013 ( 196 )
- ► 2012 ( 92 )
- ► 2011 ( 71 )
- ► 2010 ( 55 )
- ► 2009 ( 63 )
- Healthy Hair
- Skin Care
- Stronger Hair
- Deep Conditioning
- Healthy Scalp
- Off topic
- Product Reviews
- healthy ends
- Hair Maintenance
- Hair Goals
- Hair Oil
- hair styles
- How Tos
- Stretching Relaxer
- hair steamer
- Dry Hair
- Hair Science
- Dominican Salon
- Hair Tools
- Shiny Hair
- Beauty Treatments
- Bamboo Tea
- air drying
- Affirm Fiber Guard
- Reader Questions
- Curly Hair
- Hair Growth
- hair journal