Saturday, June 20, 2015
The Fulani Method | Using a silk scarf to infuse moisture into your hair
The Fulani Method is a tradition of the Fulani women who hail from Nigeria and other parts of West Africa. The method is quite simple. You simply moisturize and seal your scarf before tying around your hair. You heard me right, you moisturize and seal your scarf. The idea is that your scarf will infuse your strands with moisture as you sleep. Or, if you're like me and wear your scarf around the house, you'll experience a moisture boost all day. I see great applications for this method on when you're out in the sun all day or for instant replenishment whenever your hair is feeling extra dry.
You'll see a video demonstration below. JoStylin immerses the scalp in water and dips in in oil. This morning I tried a modified version in which I misted the scarf with a spray bottle. This time I didn't include the oil component because I wanted to see how my hair responded to the damp scarf alone. When I do use oil, I'll apply using the Misto Sprayer. After a few minutes of sporting a lightly damp scarf, I removed it to assess the results.
Instantly, my hair felt more moisturized. The little bit of dampness from the scarf allowed my hair to lay down quite nicely. It was like moisturizing the hair with half the work. I love that I can modify the amount of moisture depending on what hair style I'm wearing. If I need more moisture, I can lightly wet the scarf under running water. If I want to moisturize the hair without over saturation, I mist the scarf. This method doesn't take the place of your regular moisturizing and sealing regimen, but it's a nice addition. Especially for those lazy nights when you just want to tie a (damp) scarf around your head and fall asleep. Thumbs up for the Fulani Method.
[ #TRENDING ]
- ► 2016 ( 244 )
- Must Have Essentials for Girls with Puny Lashes.
- Motivation Monday | Put a down payment on your goa...
- Gabrielle Union reminds us to step our water drink...
- Style Obsession | The Kimono
- I've turned my Korean Treatment Essence into a hig...
- How to Create Flawless Skin in 7 Days.
- The amazing benefits I experienced from regular ma...
- Motivation Monday | Creating your life on a moment...
- Insta Moments.
- The Fulani Method | Using a silk scarf to infuse m...
- Fit Friday | Summer Fitness Inspiration.
- Style Obession | Dressed in Denim
- The Case for Exfoliating Your Eye Area
- Damaged Hair? Maybe you should try a Hair Botox T...
- Monday Motivation | Life Lessons from Tom Cruise's...
- Instagram Beauty Secrets Part 7.
- Fearless Friday | You've been looking at your fear...
- In the shower | Taking your beauty ritual to the n...
- On Repeat // SZA + Willow Smith 9
- Monday Motivation | How to keep from forgetting to...
- How to look amazing every day without fail.
- Insta moments.
- 5 Makeup Looks to try this weekend!
- What to wear when you have nowhere to go.
- PRP | The anti-aging vampire facial that can also ...
- Moisturize like a Pro! Welcome to the world of Pr...
- Monday Motivation | How to achieve your dreams, w...
- ▼ June ( 27 )
- ► 2014 ( 257 )
- ► 2013 ( 196 )
- ► 2012 ( 92 )
- ► 2011 ( 71 )
- ► 2010 ( 55 )
- ► 2009 ( 63 )
- Healthy Hair
- Skin Care
- Stronger Hair
- Deep Conditioning
- Healthy Scalp
- Off topic
- Product Reviews
- healthy ends
- Hair Maintenance
- Hair Goals
- Hair Oil
- hair styles
- How Tos
- Stretching Relaxer
- hair steamer
- Dry Hair
- Hair Science
- Dominican Salon
- Hair Tools
- Shiny Hair
- Beauty Treatments
- Bamboo Tea
- air drying
- Affirm Fiber Guard
- Reader Questions
- Curly Hair
- Hair Growth
- hair journal